Our group was formed in 2007 during the Discover Shropshire Project, the group undertakes cataloguing, indexing, digitising and updating of archive material and provides Family and Local History advice.
Since its formation the group has:-
- Completed the Oswestry & Border Counties Advertizer Biographical Index for Marriages & Deaths (1849 to the present day)
- Catalogued the Photo and Slide Collections
- Catalogued and renovated the Map Collection
- Updated Subject Folders
- Created our own Website.
- Created a Roll Of Honour, searchable database of serviceman mentioned in the Oswestry Advertizer Half Penny Special
- Created a searchable database for BMD’s from various local newspapers from the 1860’s & 1870’s
- Digitised a large collection of Farm Bills from 3 farms in the area
- Digitised the MI’s for St Michael’s Church, West Felton and St Chad’s Church, Haughton
- Digitised the Parish Records for St Agatha’s Church, Llanymynech
- Digitised the Parish Records for St Philip & St James Church, Morton, Nr Oswestry
- Digitised the Parish Records for St Mary’s Church, Selattyn
- Created a database of Crimean War Veterans from Oswestry and the surrounding area
- Created a large ongoing document on Queen’s Park School, Oswestry for which we are asking the public to send in their contributions
- Created a shelf list for the Welsh Collection
- We now have the 3 main newspapers in the area, held on disc from 2013, Oswestry Advertizer, Shropshire Star and Oswestry Border Chronicle.
- Created our own DVD of over 400 old photographs of Oswestry for sale.
- Digitised over 2,400 Photo’s, Slides, Negatives and Newspaper Photographs held at Oswestry Library.
- West Felton War Memorial Booklet
- WW1 Newspaper clippings, Photos, Articles & Advertisements.
- Have now obtained the Parish records for St Barbara’s Church, Park Hall
- Digitised Llansilin School Registers & Log Books
- Updating the OF&LHG Reference Manual, now called the OF&LHG Resource Guide
- Melverley Church MI’s have now been transcribed
- Electoral Registers have now been sorted and boxed in order
- The number of Trade Directories held, has now been increased
We hold Advice Sessions in family and local history on Monday mornings from 10:00 to 12:00 and on Friday afternoons from 13:30 to 16:00. These are manned by volunteers on a rota basis. Members of the public are welcome to bring their queries along and our team will help them search the library’s sources and the Internet for relevant information.
We use dedicated PC’s with free access to Ancestry and we have 2 microfilm/microfiche viewers with printers.
Appointments may be made via the Library but are not essential.
Family and Local History Queries
The group will also answer family and local history queries sent to the library.
The contact details for Oswestry Library are:
Phone: 01691 677388
Fax: 01691 677399
Details of Historic Documents/Books held in Shropshire Libraries/Archives can be searched for at: Shropshire History