copy from Oswestry in Old Photographs by M Bennett – book in library.
Caption reads “Most of Cross Street, shown here about 1880, has been either demolished or re-fronted. On the right hand side the premises of Mr William George, a boot dealer, can be clearly seen. Mr. George also kept the local depot of the Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge. As the street progressed towards the Queen’s Hotel, the buildings on this side became increasingly unsafe and the Town Council decided to purchase the entire row. They were demolished, the street was widened and a proper path was constructed. Alderman John Morris contributed £1,000 of his own money towards the improvements.