OSW-PH-O-5-6-115 – The Ogilvy Monument c1906

The Ogilvy Monument c1906 – The Ogilvy Monument, a replica of St. Martin’s Cross on Iona, was erected by the people of Oswestry in memory of former vicar of Oswestry Parish Church, the Rev. Norman Ogilvy, in 1903.  Behind the monument, the half-timbered building is the original Oswestry School, which was founded in 1407 by David Holbache, and is the oldest grammar school in Shropshire.  By 1776 these premises had become too small, so a new school was built near the site where the Battle of Maserfield is believed to have taken place.  Taken from a book “A Portrait in Old Picture Postcards” by Verna Palmer

PH-O-5-6-115 - The Ogilvy Monument c1906