OSW-PH-O-5-7-4 – The Cross, 1908

The Cross c. 1908 – taken from Verna Palmer – Oswestry & District : a portrait in old picture postcards published 1989 – caption reads “The first building on the left is where, in 1820, Mr. Cathrall printed the short-lived Oswestry Herald and a later occupier, William Price printed “The History of Oswestry”.  In 1908 the occupier was Mr Duncombe, tobacconist, next door to whom was Oliver’s shoe shop. On the right, Glasgow House was occupied by Morris & Jones, drapers.  Llwyd Mansion, on the corner, dates from early 17th century and was restored in 1875.  At the time of this postcard, occupancy was being shared by L. Herr, shoe merchant and G Dutton, grocers.  Further along the sign of Stead & Simpson’s is displayed on the building they redeveloped in 1880.

the OF&LHG tried to find out about the present Santander building but we don’t have a number for the building and therefore the census doesn’t give us any clear information about who occupied the building.

Checked 1891 census, but not a specific listing for No.6 The Cross.

No.1 was a Drapers / Grocers store.  William V Davies, his wife and daughter are the family listed, but there are 11 staff / servants listed.

No. 3 was a Grocer’s shop occupied by Edward Mauford and his family.

No 15 was occupied by Richard Daniels and his wife.  Richard is a draper / clothier.  There are 27 staff / servants on the premises.

No 11 was the home of 6 siblings, Joan and John who worked in the butchery trade, with 4 younger children of school age – Ellen, Henry, Katie and Betty.

There are other entries for The Cross, but the numbering is unclear – these include an Eating House, Boarding House and a Silversmith.

 

 

Checked the 1901 census, but again not a specific listing for No.6.  There are only 4 entries for The Cross rather than Cross Street.

No 1 is a mixture of unmarried shop workers, Drapers & Grocery Assistants.

No 5 was occupied by a Mr Wiggins, his wife and child.  His occupation is given as a Caretaker at Jewellery Premises.

No 11 was occupied by Katie Davies and her sister Betty.  Katie is an apprentice millinery.  Also at the address are a butcher, apprentice butcher and a housekeeper.

No 13 was occupied by Richard Daniel and his wife.  Richard is a draper and there are 23 staff / servants on the premises – mainly in the drapery trade

PH-O-5-7-4 - The Cross,  1908