OSW-PH-G-1-69 The Derwen Training College, Gobowen

Derwen Training College c1935 – taken from Verna Palmer – Oswestry & District : a portrait in old picture postcards published 1989 – caption reads “The Derwen Cripples Training College was founded as a department of the Orthopaedic Hospital by Dame Agnes Hunt in 1927, to enable the seriously disabled to learn a trade.  In 1930 the Derwen estate was purchased for £3,800, so that a new training college could be built.  Shortly afterwards, the buildings, behind the archway to the left of the house, and the three buildings to the right were built to provide accommodation, workshops and recreation facilities for the first students.  Today the college has around 180 students and although it has been much enlarged, this view remains very much the same”.

PH-G-1-69 The Derwen Training College, Gobowen