OSW-PC-O-5-6-119 – The New Park – Cae Glas – 26 Aug 1911

The New Park – Cae Glas – 26 Aug 1911 – taken from Verna Palmer’s – Oswestry & District : a portrait in old picture postcards published 1989 – caption reads “ As the caption “The New Park”  implies, this postcard was published shortly after Cae Glas Park was opened to the public in 1910.  Originally belonging to the Cae Glas mansion, which was demolished in 1835, the land was sold to the town in 1908 for a park.  The bandstand was built in 1911 to commemorate the Coronation of King George V; the Memorial Gates, dedicated to local men who died in both World Wars, were installed in 1921; and the bowling green was added in 1927.  The iron railings shown on the postcard have been replaced by a neat hedge and today this entrance has neatly laid out gardens with seats along both sides”.

PC-O-5-6-119 - The New Park - Cae Glas - 26 Aug 1911