Llanforda ( Sir W. W. Wynn. Bt.) Volume 4 Stanley Leighton Sketches
This place was bought in 1675 by Speaker Williams from his cousin Edw. Lloyd. It stands in a fine situation overlooking the great plain of Shropshire. The speaker’s son, Sir William Williams lived here, and his great grandson Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn, about 1780, began to build a very large mansion, which, before it was completed, was burnt down, the stables alone remaining.
The ruins were converted into a farmhouse: about 1813 the farmhouse was converted into the present residence by Sir Watkin’s brother Mr. Henry W. Wynn (afterwards the Rt. Hon. Sir Henry W. Williams Wynn, G.C.B.) , and here he lived when not engaged in diplomatic duties.
Five large volumes of the letters of the last Edward Lloyd of Llanforda are at Sweeney. [1934 Now deposited by Parker Leighton in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth].
The stables of Llanforda alone were saved from the fire which destroyed the unfinished mansion of Sir W. W. Wynn in 1780.
The brickwork is excellent: and the scale of these offices gives some idea of the extent of the whole design if it had been carried out