OSW-PC-O-25-8 – Oswestry & District Hospital 1939

Oswestry & District Hospital 1939 – This postcard was published shortly after the hospital was opened on 11th September 1939 (notice the painter’s ladders still in place).  When a fund was first set up in 1935 to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary, the intention was to improve the existing Oswestry & Ellesmere Cottage Hospital, opened in Welsh Walls in 1870.  Instead it was decided to build a new 32-bed hospital on Maesylan, Upper Brook Street, which opened earlier than expected at the outbreak of the Second World War.  About to celebrate its Golden Jubilee in September 1989, the O&D, as it is affectionately known, is sadly scheduled for closure the same month. Caption from “Portrait in Old Picture Postcards” by Verna Palmer – Original Postcard donated by Alan Perry – January 2014